All-Stars outplay Texas for fun

After Friday night’s second inning began with a leadoff home run by senior Raygan Feight, the following nine batters contributed to a 10-run inning for Texas. Seven more runs were added over the next four innings, as every Longhorn reached base.

This success led to a 17-0 win over Western Texas College.

Freshman Brejae Washington’s two-run, inside-the-park homer assisted in Texas’ victory, as did freshman Mandy Ogle, who went 3-for-4.

Pitcher Blaire Luna allowed Western Texas only one hit in her four innings of play time. Six opposing players were struck out after Rachel Fox stepped in for the final stretch.

Play continued over the weekend, as the women hosted the NPF All-Stars, including former Longhorns Cat Osterman, Megan Willis and Loryn Johnson.

Osterman’s pitching proved too much for Texas, as the game ended 2-0.

“I felt like I was throwing well, so all-in-all, we got what we wanted,” the former Texas pitcher said. “It was sad to realize this was my last game on this field ever, though.”

Although the team’s season ended on a loss, it was the perfect close to a successful fall season and gave Texas not only a fun-filled end but also showed the team what needs to be tweaked before the spring season starts up in February.

“In the fall, we see girls in and out of the lineup, but I like that we were able to build up to this at the end of the season,” head coach Connie Clark said. “I’m liking the situation we have with our depth and versatility.”