Longhorns falter in second half of loss

The Texas women’s basketball team watched helplessly as Texas A&M’s Danielle Adams scored at will and handed the Longhorns their fourth straight loss.

Last night’s 80-65 loss in College Station marked Texas’ (11-7, 0-4) worst Big 12 start since 2001.

The large margin of defeat comes as a surprise considering Texas ended the first half with a 15-7 run and a four-point lead. In the second half, however, the No. 5 Aggies (16-1, 4-0) played at a level their high ranking would indicate and won the rebound and turnover battles.

Texas controlled the game into the early second half, but even with a nine-point lead and 15 minutes to go, the Longhorns collapsed. The Aggies forced four turnovers on four straight possessions.

“It was like a feeding frenzy all of a sudden. It was a battle,” Texas coach Gail Goestenkors said. “I think [A&M] gained a lot of confidence when we turned the ball over in that stretch.”

Texas A&M built its lead to seven before the Longhorns got within four with six minutes to go. The Aggies scored seven straight points to push the lead to 72-61 about three minutes later.

“We played them pretty well for a good bit of the game, but I thought we lost our poise,” Goestenkors said.

Adams was at the forefront of that second-half maroon surge finishing with a career-high 34 points. Teammates Maryann Baker and Tyra White contributed 14 and 12 points respectively.

For the Longhorns, freshman and emerging leader Chassidy Fussell finished as the top point scorer for the team again with a season-high 26 points. Senior Kathleen Nash added 16 points.

Part of Texas’ demise was that they had no inside presence to counter the Aggies. While 40 of Texas A&M’s points were scored in the paint, Texas only mustered 10.

Goestenkors received a technical foul for arguing a foul call late in the second half.