Former Kansas consultant could face 20 years for ticket scandal

Turns out the 69-game home winning streak that the Longhorns snapped two weekends ago at Kansas’ Allen Fieldhouse was not the only major loss that occurred on the Lawrence campus in January.

Thomas Blubaugh, a former consultant to KU’s basketball program, had knowledge of a ticket-selling scheme headed by his wife Charlette, an employee in the university’s ticket office. She was reportedly put aside huge amounts of season tickets and illegally sold them in an unofficial, non-KU-affiliated ring. She would then split the proceeds from the illegal sales with her husband, who last Friday pleaded guilty to charges of conspiracy, wire fraud, tax evasion and transportation of stolen goods.

The tickets were reportedly worth more than $2 million in total, and the sentence could be up to 20 years in jail with a hefty fine, in addition to the mandatory repayment of the lost revenue.

“[Thomas Blubaugh] will continue to cooperate with the government in the prosecution of others in this case,” Stephen E. Robison, Blubaugh’s lawyer, said to a judge last week.

The Blubaughs and three others were indicted in November. Kassie Liebsch, also a former employee in the ticket office, and former Kansas assistant athletic director Rodney Jones pleaded guilty to similar charges.

Ben Kirtland, a former developmental director, is the last remaining defendant and is scheduled to go to trial in March.

<strong>Singletary, Selby earn honors</strong>

After big weeks for No. 2 Kansas and resurgent Texas Tech, Jayhawk freshman Josh Selby and Red Raider senior Mike Singletary earned the Phillips 66 Big 12 Rookie of the Week and Player of the Week awards, respectively.

For Selby and the Jayhawks, the week started with a tough road win at Colorado and ended with a home romp over crumbling rival Kansas State. Selby averaged 14.5 points while shooting more than 50 percent from the floor in the two wins for the one-loss Jayhawks.

Meanwhile in Lubbock, Pat Knight’s Red Raiders are starting to gain some momentum after wins at Iowa State and in overtime against Oklahoma State. Senior swingman Singletary was a major player to the big week for Tech. He averaged a stellar 29 points and nearly nine boards per game while shooting 60 percent on 18-of-30 from the floor and 91.3 percent free-throw shooting.

Last week, Texas frontcourt mates Jordan Hamilton and Tristan Thompson took home the weekly awards.

<strong>Weather delays Baylor game</strong>

A conference game between Oklahoma and Baylor, scheduled to be broadcast as part of ESPN2’s Super Tuesday, has been postponed until today because of the monumental winter storm that has torn through more than half of the country. Up north in Norman, Okla., officials predicted large amounts of wintry weather last night and did not want to take any risks with the game.

A huge event for both teams, including bubble tournament contender Baylor, the makeup game will take place today at 3 p.m. at the Lloyd Noble Center, and OU will offer free admission to all.

The Sooners have won three straight since their trip to Austin, while Baylor has lost three of five and only received one vote in the ESPN/USA Today coaches’ poll this week. However, the Bears can move to 5-3 in the Big 12 with a road win at Oklahoma.