Fussell shines in Longhorns’ fifth consecutive Big 12 win

Freshman guard Chassidy Fussell and junior Yvonne Anderson notched 19 and 18 points respectively to help the Texas women’s basketball team win its fifth Big 12 game in a row over the Kansas State Wildcats, ending their five game win streak.

Fussell and Kathleen Nash helped Texas jump out to an early 16-9 lead with a pair of quick three pointers. Later in the half, Anderson took charge and engineered an 8-0 run over the Wildcats with four points of her own. With their ability to run and gun, the Longhorns held a 38-31 lead at the half.

Texas’ 38 points were its highest first-half point total in conference play, and it was a sign of things to come.

The Longhorns carried that momentum right into the start of the second period as they scored eight straight points for a 46-34 lead — their second double-digit lead of the game. The game was pretty much decided in those minutes because Texas never led again by any less than eight points down the stretch.

Fussell, recently named Big 12 player of the Week, has now scored double digits in 21 games this season, and she tied Clarissa Davis (1985-86) for the fifth-most double-figure scoring efforts by a Texas freshman in school history. She has notched a total of 400 points this season — the ninth most by a Texas freshman.

Texas head coach Gail Goestenkors has preached the importance of rebounding to her squad all season. The Longhorns took that to heart on Wednesday by winning the battle of the boards, 36-28. Texas is 13-2 when out rebounding their opponent.

Though the Longhorns shot well, their defense has really been at the helm of their recent success. In its last five games, Texas’ opponents have been averaging just 60.0 points per game. Kansas State’s Jalana Childs scored 17 points to lead her squad.

The Wildcats’ loss was their first of the year at home.

Texas is now fifth in the Big 12 and has begun to dig itself out of the early season hole they were in. They will look to continue their hot streak as they head to Waco on Saturday to take on top-ranked Baylor.