Longhorns have yet to meet match, remain undefeated

With a 4-3 win against No. 26 Florida State in Tallahassee, the Longhorns capped off a four-week stretch that featured three road matches against ranked opponents.

Texas’ doubles teams, led by Ed Corrie and Jean Andersen, have won all seven matches this season. The duos of Corrie and Andersen and Kellen Damico and David Holiner this time secured the doubles point for Texas. In singles, the Longhorns were able to keep the momentum going to solidify another win and remain undefeated this season.

“In singles, they jumped on us at Nos. 1 and 4. We ended up dropping those matches quickly and went down 2-1,” said head coach Michael Center.

Andersen used a straight set win to even up the match again, before sophomore Vasko Mladenov put Texas back on top.

“Jean Andersen did a good job and played very well, and Vasko got off his court to make it 3-2,” Center said.

Texas still needed to hold off Florida State and get one more win to take the match. That came from sophomore Daniel Whitehead with a three-set win to secure the victory for the team.

“Kellen Damico and Daniel Whitehead were out battling, and Daniel was able to get that last point we needed,” Center said.

With the win, Texas improves its record to 7-0 as it prepares for the ITA Indoor National Championships at the University of Washington this weekend. Before that, however, Texas will need to sharpen up its game in order to have the results they want.

“It was another hard-fought win for our guys,” Center said. “We’ve played in a lot of different environments and have been tested. We are happy to win, but we still have a lot of work to do.”