Longhorns prepare for Lone Star Showdown

Alex Endress

The Longhorns take on Texas A&M in the State Farm Lone Star Showdown this Saturday.

The event will take place at noon in the Penick-Allison Tennis Center. UT currently has a 6.0–5.0 lead in the season-long standings of the Lone Star Showdown. The Longhorns topped Texas A&M 5-2 in their last meeting on April 20, 2010, in College Station.

“We always look forward to the Texas A&M match,” said head coach Patty Fendick-McCain. “It’s a great rivalry between the two schools. They have some new freshmen who are doing great, and we have a couple who have been great for us. We have some seniors who always look forward to the rivalry.”

Texas will look to sustain the energy they acquired last week, in a 4-3 victory against Illinois.

“We’re glad to be outdoors again after playing indoors on the road last weekend,” Fendick-McCain said.

The No. 1 singles match looks to excite, with sophomore Aeriel Ellis, ranked No. 16, versus Texas A&M’s Nazari Urbina, No. 19.

“They’re both ranked in the top 20 right now, and it will be fun to watch,” Fendick-McCain said.

Another well-matched bout should be the duo of senior Amanda Craddock and freshmen Cierra Gaytan-Leach against Texas A&M’s tandem of Christi Liles and Janelle Cuthbertson.

“It’s just a great, competitive, sportsman-like match,” Fendick-McCain said, on the tradition of the Lone Star Showdown.