Texas heads to the desert for Vegas vacation

There is an old saying: “What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas.”

The No. 7 Longhorns hope this doesn’t ring true as they head out to the desert oasis with hopes of bringing back a win in the Southern Highlands Collegiate Masters. As spring competition resumes, Texas is still in search of its first tournament win.

“We’re looking forward to playing a challenging course at Southern Highlands,” said Texas head coach John Fields. “It’s the kind of course that will prepare you for the postseason.”

The Longhorns are familiar with this course, placing seventh in last year’s event. Texas will employ sophomore Cody Gribble, juniors Dylan Frittelli and Alex Moon, senior Bobby Hudson and freshman Toni Hakula as its starters. Gribble and Frittelli tied for fifth place in last year’s event.

The Collegiate Masters showcases some of the nation’s top teams. No. 1 Oklahoma State, No. 3 UCLA and No. 4  Georgia Tech and conference foes No. 11 Texas A&M, No. 14 Texas Tech and Baylor will make up part of the field. A total of 15 teams will compete.

“The tournament field in which we will play will be at the highest level. We’ll have to be at the top of our game,” Fields said. “We want to get going and get off to a good start.”

The Longhorns will have their work cut out for them. Southern Highlands is revered by many in the golf world as one of the top collegiate courses. Texas will need a strong start, along with a strong finish to take home more than just memories from Las Vegas.