UT Athletics reveal name, logo for new ‘Longhorn Network’

ESPN Senior Vice President Burke Magnus and UT athletics directors DeLoss Dodds and Chris Plonsky announced the name and logo for the 24-hour television network at the Longhorns’ annual spring football game during the weekend.

The aptly named Longhorn Network will be dedicated to covering all Texas athletics events, along with a variety of other content, including original series and studio shows, historical programming and academic and cultural happenings.

The network’s logo incorporates the traditional Longhorn silhouette on a backdrop of orange and black.

“We plan on bringing great Longhorn content to fans right from the launch, which will drive demand for LHN from viewers, advertisers and affiliates,” said Dave Brown, vice president of programming for ESPN, including the Longhorn Network.

The website LonghornNetwork.com is the broadband companion to the television network and will broadcast live games not offered on TV due to scheduling conflicts. GetLonghornNetwork.com debuted, along with the logo, to serve as a place where fans can get information on how to get the network in time for its August 2011 launch.

“We are the first individual school network and we are looking forward to developing a channel that the University of Texas and Longhorns everywhere can be proud of,” Brown said.