Dorm desserts

Editor’s Note: This is the final installation in a four-part series looking at alternative ways to cook in your dorm that are in accordance with the Division of Housing and Food Service’s rules.

As the final installment of this series, it’s only fitting we do it justice by wrapping it up with desserts. For those with a big sweet tooth but a small store of patience, these dorm-friendly treats are a quick solution to a serious sugar craving.

Not-So-Baked Apple Crisp

Even if the only thing you have in your minifridge is half a six-pack and a jar of old, crusty mayonnaise, all of the ingredients in this recipe are easily accessible from any on-campus convenience store and don’t require an oven to bake.

There are two components to an exceptional apple crisp: the apples and the crumbly topping. To “bake” the apples, wash, peel and chop a Granny Smith apple into equal pieces, so that the pieces will cook evenly in the microwave. After you have completed this task, put the chopped apple into a bowl and add 1 tablespoon of water or apple juice, eight sugar packets and a pinch of salt. Stir so the sugar granules are well distributed on the apple pieces.

Microwave the apples for four-and-a-half minutes or until the apples are translucent and tender. After the apples are finished cooking, drain the excess liquid.

To make the crumble, pour your cinnamon and apple oatmeal into a bowl. If you can go off-campus, try using the Better Oats brand because the large grains create the perfect texture for the topping. Next, add 1 tablespoon of margarine or butter and one sugar packet to the oatmeal. Using your hands, blend the ingredients together until the grains begin to stick together and the margarine is well incorporated. Pour the crumble on top of your baked apples and microwave them for 15 seconds.

Remove from the microwave and enjoy.

Messy Microwave Molten Lava Cake

Perhaps the most sinfully rich thing that’s ever come out of your microwave, in fewer than seven minutes, you’ll be in heaven with this chocolate cake.

First, carefully measure out your dry ingredients (cocoa, sugar and flour) and put them in your mug. Use the back of a knife to level your measuring spoon scoops. In baking, precision is of the utmost importance.

Blend your dry ingredients together and add your wet ingredients: milk, vegetable oil, egg whites and vanilla. Again, pay careful attention to your measurement precision. Then, using a fork, vigorously whip the wet and dry ingredients together for two minutes, or until you have sung the happy birthday song to yourself six times. If your whipping skills are not quite up to par, or you’re just a messy person, whip your ingredients over a sink, so your roommate doesn’t get revenge by cleaning the floor with your toothbrush.

After all of your ingredients are well-blended, and you have stained nearly everything in sight with cake batter, put your chopped candy-bar pieces on top of the batter, concentrated toward the center. If desired, sprinkle a little less than a handful of milk chocolate chips on top, too.

Next, put your chocolaty concoction into the microwave for two-and-a-half minutes. If the cake batter looks runny or cannot be separated from the sides of the mug easily, return it to the microwave for 10 seconds and check on it, repeating until the cake is moist but consolidated. You can test how done it is by sticking a toothpick or straightened paperclip into the cake. If it removes cleanly, then it’s ready.

When the cake is finished baking, take it out from the microwave and let it cool for a few minutes. Finally, adorn with a decorative squirt of whipped cream and a sprinkle of cocoa. Enjoy.