Quotes to note

A visit to Arizona State University

“Officials at ASU made it clear that ASU wanted to be an institution defined by its high degree of inclusiveness and ability to manufacture a significant number of degrees at a low cost.”

— Student Body President Natalie Butler on her recent trip to Arizona State University with regents Alex Cranberg and Brenda Pejovich, according to a letter Butler sent the UT System Board of Regents. ASU president Michael Crow has implemented reforms to the university, such as offering more online classes, consolidating academic departments and increasing enrollment in an attempt to build the “New American University.”

“UT-Austin, rather, is defined by its academic rigor, excellence and support for the intellectually curious who are looking to answer the world’s questions.”

— Butler, who grew up six miles from ASU, said she chose to attend UT for its reputation of academic excellence.

“From a student perspective, I value having researchers teach my classes, and my courses in the vast array of disciplines have added immeasurable worth to my education.”

— Butler on the importance of research in the classroom.

Perry speaks

“I’m amazingly happy with the boards of regents across the state of Texas.”

— Gov. Rick Perry on the extreme joy that the boards of regents have brought him, according to the Austin American-Statesman.

“I’ll be honest. I’m not spending a lot of time looking for new forms of revenue in the state of Texas.”

— Perry on the budget and non-tax revenue, according to the Austin American-Statesman.

Debating concealed carry

“Frankly, I do not hold sway over the person standing next to me in the produce aisle whether or not they get to go to medical school. Here at the University of Texas, I do.”

— Associate biology professor Molly Cummings on the implications of concealed carry in the classroom at a debate held by TIP scholars Wednesday night, according to The Daily Texan.

“The funny thing [is], these people who have these licenses are so law-abiding.”

— Kory Zipperer, vice president of Students for Concealed Carry on Campus.