Quotes to note

“I do my best to produce quality work. This is a production snafu.”

— Well-paid regent hire Rick O’Donnell responding to revelations that his controversial research paper “Is academic research good for Texas?” contains numerous errors, such as inaccurate quotes, data and citations, according to the San Antonio Express-News.

“If there’s any arena in which that is wrong, it is higher education. Higher education should be the birthplace of debating conflicting ideas.”

— Sen. Judith Zaffirini, D-Laredo, chair of the Senate Committee on Higher Education, on behind the scenes attempts between regents and other decision makers to minimize academic research at UT, according to the Austin American-Statesman.

“Excellent meeting just now with Rick. Are you ready for me to get this show on the road?"

— UT System general council Francie Frederick in an e-mail to system chairman Gene Powell regarding the proposed hiring of Rick O’Donnell, in emails obtained by the Texas Tribune. The email was sent February 10th, the day before the position was opened to applicants.

“It is about trying to reduce the cost of textbooks … It also brings our state statute in alignment with the Higher Education Opportunity Act.”

— Rep. Dan Branch, R-Dallas, said about a bill he authored requiring universities to release a list of textbooks prior to registration in order for students to shop for the best deal, according to The Daily Texan.

“I’ve challenged our institutions of higher learning to leverage new technology to create a bachelor’s degree program that costs no more than $10,000 — books included.”

— Gov. Rick Perry about his passion for cheap higher education, according to The Daily Texan.

“What I have enjoyed the most has been seeing how much of an impact entry-level staffers, aides and interns really have …You definitely learn a lot that you probably won’t learn in your government classes.”

— Spanish and religious studies senior Merrit Martin on the value of Capitol internships, according to The Daily Texan.

“Obviously, we present a greater target for those people that are emotionally disturbed out there in the public than the average person does.”

— Rep. Tim Kleinschmidt, R-Lexington, who sponsored a House bill which would give elected officials the right to carry firearms in currently prohibited areas, such as churches, bars and schools, according to the Ft. Worth Star Telegram.

“They’ve made it very clear that they plan to impose Republican rule on as much of Travis County as they possibly can and to split our county up.”

— Rep. Lloyd Doggett, D-Texas, on Republican redistricting efforts, according to the Austin American-Statesman.