Quotes to note

“With limited resources, it’s more important than ever to demand more value from each dollar invested in higher education. That will be the right message.”

— Rep. Dan Branch, R-Dallas, discussing a bill to adjust the state’s funding formula for colleges and universities during testimony before the House Higher Education Committee, according to The Dallas Morning News.

“There’s no free lunch. The Rainy Day fund was established for a rainy day. The question … is not should it ever be used, the question is to what extent.”

— Comptroller Susan Combs before the House Appropriations Committee last week, according to The Dallas Morning News.

“If it’s not raining right now, I don’t know what weather map they’re looking at.”

— Rep. Mike Villarreal, D-San Antonio in a panel discussion on budget cuts and using the state’s Rainy Day fund, according to The Texas Tribune.

“The message is simple: Avoid traveling to Mexico during spring break and stay alive.”

— Department of Public Safety Director Steven C. McCraw in a statement directed at college students considering spending spring break in Mexico.

“At The Battalion, we believe in free speech, and that means some people and groups will be offended because not everyone agrees on everything. Essentially, that’s what free speech is: the right to offend.”

— Matt Woolbright, editor-in-chief of The Battalion, the official campus newspaper of Texas A&M, in an editorial entitled “No regrets” in response to criticism of the paper’s perceived bias.