Longhorns compete at Penn Relays

Sophomores took over for the Longhorns over the weekend at the Penn Relays as Texas won two events in the last meet before the Big 12 Championship.

On Friday, sophomores Hayden Baillio and Marquise Goodwin led the way as each earned a victory. All-American Baillio threw a personal best 64-0 1/4 inches in the shot put as the much-improved athlete climbed up the school record books again.

Baillio’s throw, along with being second-best in the nation this season, was good enough to move him to sixth on UT’s all-time performers list.

Goodwin, another All-American, won the long jump title with a wind-aided jump of 26-3 1/2.

On the final day, the stir around the professional athletes capped off a weekend that drew more than 100,000 people throughout the five days in Philadelphia. Sophomore Patrick McGregor did his best to stand out in the crowd.

McGregor finished on top of all collegiate athletes in the mile run with a time of 4 minutes, 2.22 seconds. Overall, McGregor finished second, behind Longhorn alum Kyle Miller.

“Patrick had a great performance in the mile and unfortunately, had to finish second to a former Longhorn,” said Texas head coach Bubba Thornton.

The 1,600-meter relay team also delivered an impressive performance on Saturday. Danzell Fortson, Andre Thomas, Keiron Stewart and Isaac Murphy took home eighth place after clocking 3:06.93, the team’s fastest run of the season.

“Here is how I look at it. Marquise Goodwin jumped over 26 feet, putting him up there with some of the best jumpers in track and field history,” Thornton said. “We felt really good about the meet, and so now, we have to get back and take care of final exams before the Big 12 Championship.”