Quotes to Note: Gov. Rick Perry reflects on his campaign

Gov. Rick Perry graced the cover of this week’s Time magazine, which featured a variety of articles about him and an exclusive interview. The following quotes are from the interview.

“[Republican primary voters] know that we are off-track, that for two-plus years we’ve had an administration that has been doing an experiment with the American economy and it’s failed miserably, and I think people are fearful. And they’re looking for someone whom they can be excited about.”
— On what his rise says about the Republican Party.

“I still believe [the Obama administration is] socialist. Their policies prove that almost daily. Look, when all the answers emanate from Washington D.C., one size fits all, whether it’s education policy or whether it’s healthcare policy, that is, on its face, socialism.”
— On calling the Obama administration socialist and whether he feels he needs to tone down his rhetoric after entering the race for the presidency.

“The issue of education and in-state tuition is a state issue. It’s not a federal issue, and it shouldn’t be a federal issue. If you don’t like that in Arizona, if you don’t like that in Massachusetts, that’s your call. But in the state of Texas, we made the decision that on in-state tuition for young people — and frankly we don’t care what the sound of their last name is — we’re going to help them to become contributing members of society.”
— Defending his decision to offer undocumented immigrants in-state tuition, an issue he was slammed for by the other Republican hopefuls during the CNN/Tea Party debate Monday evening.

“I speak honestly and I speak plainly. The perfect candidate that everyone ever has agreed with — I’m still waiting for that man or woman to show up. I made a lot of decisions and I’ve got a substantial record. From time to time I’ll get something wrong. I’ll admit it those times when I have not been correct. But people will never have to guess where I stand on an issue.”
— On pleasing the Tea Party.

“I think anything that a state can do to fight cancer is a wise and a thoughtful approach. Did I make an error in how I went about this? Yes, I’ve readily admitted that I shouldn’t have used an executive order. I should have had an opt-in and I should have worked through the legislative process.”
— On whether a mandatory HPV vaccination for teenage girls is good public policy.