Horns hit a milestone

They didn’t let the summer break slow them down. Despite the intense heat, Texas impressed in all aspects of the game, rolling past Temple College 20-0 in its fall season opener last Friday.

All four Texas hurlers saw action against the Leopards and combined for a seven-inning no-hitter. Junior Kim Bruins, who started off the game in the circle for Texas, retired all three batters in the first while earning one strikeout. The veteran pitching staff welcomed freshman Gabby Smith into the circle this weekend. Smith, a right hander from Houston, pitched two complete innings.

Sophomore Rachel Fox and junior Blaire Luna, who handled most of the pitching duties last season, each pitched two innings against Temple. Fox had three strikeouts in two innings while Luna, the All-American from Austin, faced the minimum in her two innings with five strikeouts.

But it was the Texas offense that stole the spotlight, as the team registered an astounding 25 hits. Senior third baseman Nadia Taylor headlined the hitting frenzy with a three-run homer in the first inning. Sophomore Mandy Ogle, the expected starter behind the plate, also recorded another homer to start off the second inning.

Last season, the Longhorns saw great success at the plate. In April, they set a single-game record for most home runs at seven against Texas Tech where they won 15-2.

Other notable performances on offense include juniors Taylor Hoagland and Torie Schmidt, along with sophomore Taylor Thom. Thom had a double in her three hit performance while Schmidt connected for three singles.

Hoagland went 3-for-4 last Friday with one triple. Hoagland is coming off a busy summer with the United States Women’s National Softball Team where she helped bring home the gold in the 2011 World Cup of Softball with a 6-4 win over Japan.