Six random BIG 12 football thoughts to consider

A six pack of thoughts that thankfully have nothing to do with conference realignment:

1. In case you’re not keeping up, Texas commit Johnathan Gray, who already owns the state record for career rushing touchdowns, has now rushed 79 times for 1,079 rushing yards and 17 touchdowns through four games this season for Aledo High School. That’s like a video
game …

… Actually, it’s a lot better than a video game. Tuesday night, I created a 99-overall running back on NCAA 12 and then played four games with him, giving him three 20-carry games and one 19-carry game. Here’s what cyber-back finished with: 79 carries, 948 yards, 10 touchdowns. Gray’s the real deal, PS3 don’t lie.

2. None of the polls agree with me, but I’m not so sure Oklahoma State isn’t the best team in the conference. A big, come-from-behind win on the road against Texas A&M (2-1) looked more impressive than Oklahoma’s win two Saturdays ago on the road against Florida State (2-2). If the Cowboys and Sooners faced off right now on at a neutral site, I’d take the ’Pokes by a touchdown. They’ll have a good chance to prove they’re the best in the conference: this year, Bedlam’s at their home teepee.

3. I’m no stat guy (we have one of those), but I think the Longhorns’ biggest numerical accomplishment thus far is finding a way to get 12 different guys the ball via the passing game.

Variety is good; running backs, fullbacks, h-backs, tight ends, receivers and even quarterbacks have all caught passes so far this year. Since I’m expecting DeSean Hales, Miles Onyegbule, Blaine Irby, Darius Terrell and Barrett Matthews to all snag a pass this year, the number of players with catches could rise to 17. Last year’s figure? 13.

4. Texas head coach Mack Brown says that Demarco Cobbs (forearm) and Chet Moss (back) are being evaluated and just might be able to go this week. The return of Cobbs, a svelte outside linebacker who has the quicks to get after the quarterback and cover a slot receiver, would be huge for the Longhorns defense.

5. Hard not to love Fozzy Whittaker. The senior running back has spent all season answering more questions about true freshman Malcolm Brown than himself, but he’s handled it all with grace. Fozzy might not be the main horse in the Longhorns’ backfield anymore, but he’s an important and versatile one.

6. Along the same token, can’t we all just agree that Brown deserves to be more than the “co-starter” at running back? After three games, he leads the Longhorns in rushing yards and yards-per-attempt. Brown’s clearly the missing piece in the ground game Texas has been missing since Jamaal Charles left after the 2007 season. I’m all for playing Whittaker in the “Wild” packages and on third downs, but give Brown the title of first-string running back — he more than deserves it.