Longhorns see surprising talent step up, strive for further improvement

Texas to stick with two-quarterback system, Ash ‘hasn’t learned to slide yet’

Even with Texas being reduced to two quarterbacks on its depth chart, it won’t handle its field generals any differently.

There was still an “or” between Case McCoy’s and David Ash’s names on the depth chart that was released Monday. Head coach Mack Brown and co-offensive coordinator Bryan Harsin said that McCoy and Ash would still see the field as much as they would if there were a third-string quarterback on the depth chart. Brown also added that Ash won’t change his aggressive playing style.

“David’s tough,” Brown said. “He’s a big, strong 225-pound guy. Even if he’s not running the option, he’s a guy that’s going to pull the ball down. He’s not one of those guys that we can protect. He hasn’t learned to slide yet.”

McCoy knew Grant would be open long before he sprung free

Before he even stepped up in the pocket and threw his first touchdown of the game, Case McCoy knew where he was going with the ball. 

McCoy’s 45-yard touchdown pass to D.J. Grant against UCLA marked the first time Texas scored first this season and sparked the Longhorns to their most impressive win thus far. But before McCoy dodged a couple of UCLA defenders, he knew Grant would break free. Sure enough, no Bruin was within 30 yards of the junior tight end, who caught the first of three touchdowns on the play.

“Once I got to the top of my route, I saw the busted coverage so I knew it was coming to me,”
Grant said. “I just knew I needed to keep moving because Case would find me, and that’s what he did.”

Acho explains Goodwin’s hit

One would think that a team’s most punishing hits would come from a ball-hawking safety or a hard-hitting linebacker, not 177-pound wide receiver Marquise Goodwin

Sophomore wide out Mike Davis was looking for a seam down the left sideline before Goodwin knocked a helpless Bruins cornerback Andrew Abbott on his back. Goodwin was flagged for the hit, but senior linebacker Emmanuel Acho provided some insight into how the junior receiver was able to deliver such a powerful blow.

“He has natural leverage just based off of his 5-foot-6 frame,” joked Acho, who’s listed at 6 foot 2 inches. “Therefore, he has a slight advantage over the rest of us.”

Former Cyclone won’t be cheering for Iowa State this weekend

There will be at least one Iowa State alumna who won’t be rooting for the Cyclones on Saturday.

Keenan Robinson’s mother went to Iowa State, and the senior linebacker was born in Omaha, Neb., which is a roughly three-hour drive away from Ames, Iowa. Despite his mom’s alma mater, Robinson assured everyone where her allegiances lie.
“She’s definitely not an Iowa State fan anymore,” Robinson said. “I definitely don’t mind [going to Ames.] I’m from that area. I was born in Omaha. So I’m kind of used to that territory, but I think it’ll be fun to go back up there and play a team who is undefeated just like us.”

Pass protection can still get better

Through three games, the Longhorns have averaged 226.3 rushing yards per game and nearly five yards per carry.
Texas’ offensive line has given up only two sacks this season and hasn’t allowed any since the third quarter of its season opener against Rice. Despite the impressive numbers, senior offensive tackle Tray Allen still believes there’s room for improvement in the Longhorns pass protection.

“I think it can get better,” Allen said. “We didn’t give up any sacks in the UCLA game, but we had [quarterback] pressures. We need to pick that up and have nobody even near the quarterback when he throws the ball.” 

Printed on September 29, 2011 as: Freshman Ash will continue aggressive approach