Men’s tennis hoping to build on fall victories

Texas hopes to continue building on the success of the fall season by recording some more wins at this weekend’s ITA All-American Championships in Tulsa, Okla.

The entire team will be competing in the tournament, which starts Saturday and runs through Oct. 9 at the University of Tulsa.

“We have the chance to take all of our guys to Tulsa and get some experience at a big-time event,” said head coach Michael Center. “It’s another opportunity to challenge ourselves.”

Competing in the pre-qualifying round, which starts on Saturday, are juniors Alex Hilliard and Chris Camillone, sophomores David Holiner and Sudanwa Sitaram and freshman Jacoby Lewis. Camillone will face Mike Lampa of St. John’s in his first round match while the others have a first-round bye.

In the qualifying singles draw, Texas will be represented by juniors Ben Chen and Daniel Whitehead and freshman Soren Hess-Olesen.

Also appearing in the qualifying doubles draw is the team of Holiner and Hess-Olesen and the pairing of Chen and Whitehead.

Qualifying rounds start on Sunday.

“We’ve been training well and are looking for some great results [this weekend],” Center said.

Other Big 12 schools represented in the draw include Baylor, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas A&M and Texas Tech.

The tournament is an annual event and is one of three national championship events on the college tennis calendar, along with the ITA National Intercollegiate Indoor Championships and the NCAA Championships.

Past ITA All-American tournament champions that have gone on and had success on the professional tennis tour include John Isner, Bob Bryan and James Blake.

Printed on September 30, 2011 as: Tournament sends Horns to Tulsa.