Quotes to note: UTEP, sexual harassment, Bastrop fires

“They’re all talking about getting out. You’re getting ready to lose a lot of people you don’t want to lose.”
— Mary Aldridge Dean, executive director of the Texas Faculty Association, according to The Texas Tribune. Dean was referring to faculty members at universities that, in light of the recent higher education controversy, are facing condescending and micromanaging policies and even those the policies don’t affect may choose to move to a university with more faculty-friendly ones.

“We felt that UTEP accomplished all the metrics that would merit it. It was a top priority for me. It was a top system priority. This is historically one of the most challenging legislative sessions. Everybody made some really tough choices. Some of those choices we didn’t appreciate, but that was from our point of view.”
— UT System Chancellor Francisco Cigarroa on his commitment to helping UT-El Paso reach Tier 1 research status, according to the El Paso Times. The National Research University Fund, which was created in 2009, was set to allocate money to the state’s seven emerging research universities, including UTEP, if they meet certain criteria. The Legislature decided not to allocate money to UTEP this session.

“I am very proud of my client and the courage that she demonstrated to stand up for her rights in this case. Her willingness to do the right thing has benefited other women and the University as well.”
— Attorney Gloria Allred on the $400,000 settlement given to her client, Rachel Arena, who sued Cleve Bryant, former UT associate athletics director for football operations, for sexual harassment, according to ESPN.com. Bryant worked for head coach Mack Brown at North Carolina and came to Texas with him in 1998. Arena is a former UT student who was hired in 2008 by the athletic department. In addition to the money, the settlement includes a positive recommendation letter from head athletic director DeLoss Dodds in exchange for releasing the University of all claims.

“Part of being a great university is being a good neighbor, helping solve problems and support the community in which you live.”
— President William Powers Jr. on the University’s involvement in helping raise money for the Bastrop County fires that began last month, according to his blog, Tower Talk. Fire Relief: The Concert for Central Texas was held at the Frank Erwin Center last week, and the total efforts raised $725,000.

“I’d say West Virginia is the leader in the clubhouse. … West Virginia has better football than Missouri, better basketball than Missouri, a better budget than Missouri and more passion among its fans than Missouri. They’re better, anyway you turn ‘em.”
— A Big 12 conference official, who asked to remain nameless, when asked by the Austin-American Statesman about who would replace the University of Missouri in the conference. Missouri is expected to leave the Big 12 within two years.