Top-ranked Longhorns looking for third straight victory

The Longhorns used their last two tournaments to become the nation’s No. 1 ranked team. Now they’re using this week’s tourney to keep that coveted spot atop the rankings.

Texas is well on their way to winning their third consecutive tournament at the Isleworth Collegiate Invitational as Jordan Spieth maintained his spot at the top of the individual leaderboard. The freshman shot a 1-over 73 and holds a four-stroke lead over Stanford’s Patrick Rodgers and Andrew Yun, who each sit at -2. Junior Julio Vegas and senior Dylan Fritelli are not far behind Spieth. Vegas posted a 1-over 73 to bring his overall score to 143 (+1) for the tournament, good for fourth through two rounds. Fritelli shot a team-best 1-under 71 Monday to break even for the tournament at 144 (E).

The Longhorns, who notched a 20-stroke victory in the Jerry Pate National Intercollegiate and a 16-stroke win at the Jack Nickalus Invitational earlier this month, lead the Isleworth Collegiate Invitational by 10 strokes halfway through the tournament. At -2, Texas is the only team under par with No. 32 LSU a distant second at +8. The Longhorns will tee off with the Tigers and No. 11 North Florida, who is in third place, at +11, beginning at 8:40 a.m. Tuesday.

Printed on Tuesday, October 25, 2011 as: Texas looks to win third-straight tourney, leads by 10 strokes after second round