Rowing team prepping for Head of Colorado

The Longhorns are readying themselves for this weekend’s upcoming meet, the Head of the Colorado, on Saturday here in Austin. The team is coming off of the Head of the Charles this past week, in which they finished in fourth place for the championship four and 16th in the championship eight, with times of 19:18.201 and 17:04.127 respectively. The championship four boat consisted of coxswain Emily Lantz, Taylor Parker, Chelsea Burns, Olivia Nail and Kim Gorcyca, and the championship eight boat was made up of coxswain Megan Kelly, stroke Sydney Boyes, Laurel McCaig, Jacqueline Gorcyca, Anna Thomson, Hannah Moon, Courtney Nicklas, Devon Clark and Felicia Izaguirre-Werner.

The Head of the Colorado, also known as the PumpkinHead Regatta, takes place every year on the last Saturday of October. The event, hosted by the Austin Rowing Club, is entering its 27th year. The entire race spans as far as 5,000 meters and takes place on Lady Bird Lake here in Austin, featuring events for collegiate, junior, open, adaptive and master rowers. This year’s race will use six of the seven bridges available on the lake, starting from the Barton Springs inlet east of the Texas Rowing Center, and traveling through the bridges in an eastward direction. A new addition to the meet this year will be the Race for the Cure, hosted by the Austin Rowing Club, benefiting Komen Austin.