Texas swimming update

Men’s swimming: Southwest Collegiate Plunge

Pure domination characterized the Longhorns’ performance this weekend in the Southwest Collegiate Plunge. The team captured the title by totaling 796 points — 46 more than second-place Texas A&M — for its first win of the year.

Senior swimmer Neil Caskey led the charge by winning both the 200-yard IM and the 200-yard butterfly, with times of 1:49.71 and 1:48.49 respectively. Sophomore Patrick Murphy also looked strong, placing first in the 100- and 200-yard backstroke.

Individual winners in swimming also included Woody Joye in the 100-yard butterfly, Dax Hill in the 50-yard freestyle and Kyle McNeilis in the 200-yard freestyle.

The relay team of Murphy, Hill, Caskey and Madison Wenzler took first in the 200-yard medley relay with a time of 1:31.02, one hundredth of a second faster than the second-place finishers. Murphy, Hill, Caskey and Joye emerged victorious in the 400-yard medley relay with a time of 3:18.64.

Matt Cooper placed first in the 1-meter dive with 399 total points.

The Longhorns will head to Ann Arbor next weekend for the Indiana-Michigan dual meet.

Women’s swimming: Indiana-Michigan Dual Meet

The Longhorns appeared poised and determined as they claimed victory over both the Hoosiers and Wolverines in Friday’s dual meet.

Texas outscored Indiana 165-133 and also beat the host school Michigan 189-109. The two victories give the Longhorns three on the year and put them right where they want to be for a successful season.

The women were buoyed by senior Leah Gingrich, who won the 200- and 500-yard freestyle, as well as the 400-yard individual medley. Junior Laura Sogar and freshman Kaitlin Pawlowicz also held the load, winning two events a piece.

The Longhorns also claimed a victory in the 400-yard medley relay as Lily Moldenhauer, Laura Sogar, Kelsey Amundsen and Karlee Bispo notched a time of 3:43.95.

Other notable finishers for the Longhorns included freshmen Gretchen Jacques, who placed second in both the 100-yard breaststroke and the 50-yard freestyle and Kelsey LeNeave, who took second in the 1650 freestyle.

The team will try to build on a promising start as it hosts its first meet here in Austin next Friday against conference rival Texas A&M. The meet will be shown live on the Longhorn Network.