Texas in second place heading into final day of tournament

As October came to an end yesterday, the Longhorns ended their first round of the Betsy Rawls Longhorn Invitational strong. Juniors Madison Pressel, Desiree Dubreuil, Haley Stephens and senior Nicole Vandermade all led the team with scores of even par (72). No. 14 Texas is currently in second place going into today’s round only three strokes behind Florida.

The Texas golfers finished the front nine at three under par. Dubreuil had three straight birdies while Stephens finished the first nine with three birdies and a lone bogey. To round out the day, the Longhorns finished with nine bogeys and six birdies on the back-nine to end with a score of
even par (288).

Pressel, Dubreuil, Stephens and Vandermade are all tied for 12th place individually in the tournament. Junior Katelyn Sepmoree, their fifth player in the field, is tied for 50th place with a five-over-par 77. Also competing individually is sophomore Alyssa Morgan (79, +7) and senior Megan Rosenfeld (80, +8), who are tied for 61st and 67th place, respectively.

The Longhorns set off this morning at 9:45 a.m. alongside first-place Florida and third-place Oklahoma State (290, +2). Tomorrow is the last day of the tournament here in Austin and the last round Texas will play before their spring season.

Printed on Tuesday, November 1, 2011 as: Texas within striking distance going into tourney's last round