Quotes to Note: MyEdu partnership, voter ID laws, Rick Perry

“Would I have had different priorities for that money? Yes. We didn’t choose to bring this to the campus.”
— President William Powers Jr. on the UT System Board of Regents’ decision to form a $10-million partnership with MyEdu, according to The Daily Texan.

“As voting rights experts have noted, the recent stream of laws passed at the state level are a reversal of policies, both federal and state, that were intended to combat voter disenfranchisement and boost voter participation.”
— U.S. Reps. John Conyers, D-Mich., and Jerrold Nadler, D-N.Y., on voter ID laws, according to the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. Laws requiring voters to present government-approved ID have been adopted or are pending in 37 states, including Texas.

“If I run and I get elected, [my stance] will be partly my ideological thinking, but it will be partly what I am. We always oppose wrong … When you do what is right, people know that.”
— Mansour El-Kikhia, chairman of the UT-San Antonio political science department, as he considers the possibility of returning to his home country of Libya to run for president, according to the Houston Chronicle. El-Kikhia was exiled from Libya about three decades ago and has been back twice since the first rebellion broke out in February.

“I guess you can do anything you want with a video and make it look any way you want, but I felt good, felt great. I think the message got across very well, so it was a good speech.”
— Gov. Rick Perry referring to his bizarrely energetic speech caught on video in New Hampshire last week, according to ABC News.

“I was confused. I was coming back off days of being away and it was like, ‘Whoops, that wasn’t good.’ It has been stressful here with all these budget [cuts].”
— Jorge Posadas, director of student life at San Antonio College, apologizing for an email he sent to the editor of the school’s student newspaper, The Ranger, that requested payment for giving a face-to-face interview, according to the San Antonio Express-News.