Longhorns Advance in Big 12 Tournament

You can add another clean sheet to Alexa Gaul’s already impressive resume.

The junior goalkeeper had four saves as fifth-seeded Texas held off fourth-seeded Texas Tech, 1-0, in the first round of the Big 12 Tournament in San Antonio on Wednesday.

The shutout, which came days after Gaul was selected for the All-Big 12 second team, is the 19th of her career and seventh of the season.

“Gaul needs some credit for stonewalling us,” said Texas Tech head coach Tom Stone. “This game was really determined in the first 20 minutes. Texas pushed us around a little bit.”

On offense, the Longhorns only needed Kristin Cummins’ goal in the 11th minute to advance to the semifinals to take on Oklahoma State tomorrow. The No. 2 Cowgirls finished undefeated in the Big 12 this season and are defending Big 12 champions.

The goal, Cummins’ fifth of the season, was set up by a brilliant pass from senior forward Kylie Doniak. Cummins was able to head the ball into the right corner, just out of reach from Red Raider goalkeeper Victoria Esson. Doniak, who missed five games during the season because of a right knee injury, tallied her fifth assist of the season.

“[Doniak] clipped it in, and it was a perfect ball,” Cummins said. “It couldn’t have been any more on the money. I saw the keeper near post, so I knew my only chance was to redirect it to the far post. I think I got enough on it to just get it to the corner.”

The Longhorns go into Friday’s match being one of only two teams that did not lose to Oklahoma State this season, after playing to a 1-1 draw on Oct. 14.