Big 12 Quick Hits: Week 9

Oklahoma State
The Cowboys are ranked first nationally with 34 sacks. Against Baylor last week, the Cowboys had two players (Joseph Randle and Jeremy Smith) rush for more than 100 yards and one player (Justin Blackmon) with more than 100 yards receiving for the fourth time in school history. However, Smith sustained an undisclosed injury on a 63-yard touchdown run in the third quarter and did not return to the game. Wide receiver Josh Cooper also strained a leg muscle and did not return.

Texas A&M
In the Aggies’ three losses this season they have held leads of 17, 18 and 14 points. In the second half of those games, the Aggies have scored only 13 points and have committed seven turnovers. Cornerback Coryell Judie did not dress for the Missouri game last week because of a strained hamstring. Wide receiver Kendric McNeal missed his second game in a row because of a foot injury. Defensive end Tony Jerod-Eddie returned from a foot injury and recorded five tackles against the Tigers.

Texas Tech
Until last week, the Red Raiders had thrown a touchdown pass in 69 consecutive games. Sophomore safety Terrance Bullitt injured his shoulder against Iowa State and is out indefinitely. Sophomore cornerback Tre’ Porter suffered a head injury and also had to leave the game. The Red Raiders’ 41-7 home loss to the Cyclones was the third-consecutive home loss for the team — their longest home losing streak since 1991 (Oregon, TCU, Texas A&M).

Oklahoma
Cornerback Jamell Fleming did not participate against Kansas State a week ago after undergoing minor arthroscopic knee surgery two weeks ago. Running back Dominique Whaley suffered a broken ankle on the first play from scrimmage last week and will miss the remainder of the season. Whaley had rushed for 627 yards and nine touchdowns in six games this season. Senior wide receiver Ryan Broyles is 508 yards away from surpassing Nevada’s Trevor Insley’s NCAA record of 5,005 yards receiving.

Texas
The Longhorns were able to shut out Kansas 43-0, marking the team’s first shutout since the 2005 season against Baylor. The 36 plays that Texas held Kansas to is the lowest total ever in Big 12 history. Running back Malcolm Brown became the sixth freshman in school history to rush for more than 100 yards in back-to-back weeks. The last to achieve the feat? Cincinnati Bengals’ running back Cedric Benson.

Missouri
Running back Henry Josey became the first back in school history to run for more than 125 yards in three-straight games last week when he gained 162 yards on 20 carries against Texas A&M. Josey has 1,017 yards on 119 carries this season. The Tigers’ 38-31 overtime win in College Station was the team’s first road win over a ranked opponent since 1997. Defensive end Brad Madison strained his knee in the second quarter against the Aggies and did not return to the game.

Kansas State
Cornerback Nigel Malone intercepted two more passes against Oklahoma, raising his season total to six. Malone has also been named a semifinalist for the Jim Thorpe Award, given to the nation’s top defensive back every year. Starting wide receiver Brodrick Smith missed his third-consecutive game for undisclosed reasons.

Kansas
With only 46 yards of offense to show in last week’s 43-0 loss to Texas, the Jayhawks nearly set a new low-yardage mark in a game. For now that mark of 44 yards of total offense remains untouched. The shutout was the Jayhawks’ first since 2002 when Mark Mangino was coach. The Jayhawks’ defense is on pace to surrender the most yardage and points allowed in major college football history.

Baylor
Linebacker Brody Trahan, a former quarterback prospect, completed the second pass of his career on a fake punt when he connected with tight end Jerod Monk for a 21-yard gain. Junior quarterback Robert Griffin III now holds Baylor’s single-season school record for touchdown passes with 24. With his 11 catches for 117 yards last week against Oklahoma State, senior wide receiver Kendall Wright now has caught at least seven passes in eight consecutive games.

Iowa State
The Cyclones 34-point margin of victory over Texas Tech last week was the largest over a ranked opponent in school history. Running backs James White and Duran Hollis both racked up more than 100 yards rushing to make it two-straight years the Cyclones have had dual 100-yard performances against the Red Raiders. Redshirt freshman quarterback Jared Barnett was taken to the locker room in the first half last week for a concussion test but promptly returned to the game. Offensive guard Ethan Tuftee was also helped off the field after sustaining a leg injury. There has been no update on his condition.