Longhorns prepare to take on Cowgirls

The Longhorns take the field this evening looking to reach the final round of the Big 12 Championship as they take on top seeded Oklahoma State University.

Texas is hoping to build on top of the momentum from Wednesday’s victory when they shut out Texas Tech, 1-0, in the first round of the tournament.

The No. 2 Cowgirls, having just defeated the Oklahoma Sooners in the first round, come into the match undefeated, 18-0-2, and are looking to win their second-consecutive Big 12 tournament.

The Longhorns will need a strong defensive performance, especially from junior goalkeeper Alexa Gaul. Last week Gaul was named to the All Big 12 second team for her contributions on the field this season.

Wednesday’s shutout against the Raiders was Gaul’s seventh of the season and 19th of her career, which placed her in second on the Texas record books for career clean sheets.

Texas is one of only two teams to not have lost to Oklahoma State this season. During regular season action, they played to a 1-1 draw in Stillwater.

On offense, the Longhorns will be looking to junior midfielder Kristin Cummins and senior forward Kylie Doniak to step up. Both are tied for the team lead in goals with five.

Doniak, who had been the central figure in the Longhorn playbook earlier this season, is coming off a knee injury that kept her out of five games this season.

Texas leads the all time series against the Cowgirls 9-7-3.

Published on November 4, 2011 as: Gaul, Cummins give Texas a shot at conference title