Press Box Observations: Texas takes down Baylor

Here are three observations from Texas’ win over Baylor.

Fresh faces come in for Texas

With the loss of Khat Bell, Gregory Gym has seen some fresh faces playing on the court. Sophomore middle blocker Haley Cameron and senior setter Michelle Kocher both played Wednesday night, and the team didn’t miss a step. Kocher had 11 assists in the game.

“They have a trust, and they compete every single day, and they understand different rules and how they go about that,” said head coach Jerritt Elliott. “We have confidence in what these players can do.”

The team is 3-0 without Khat Bell and is adjusting well to changes in their lineup.

Rachael Adams sets record

Rachael Adams sealed her name in Texas volleyball record books on Wednesday. She had her 1,300th career attack. This made her eligible for Texas’ career hitting charts.

She is now No. 1 all-time at Texas with a .429 attack percentage. She passed Brandy Magee and Lauren Paolini’s records of .373.

The senior has continually led the team and remains consistent through every game. She finished the game against Baylor with eight kills.

Allison still starting setter but Kocher plays well

In Texas’ last match against Kansas State, starting setter Hannah Allison struggled in the first set, and was replaced by Michelle Kocher.

Kocher came in and performed well, spurring Texas to a win, putting up 39 assists in the game, to Allison’s 15.

Against Baylor, Allison regained the starting role and performed well. She had 27 assists in the game, and when she was in the game, Texas’ attacking game flowed well.

However, in the third set, Kocher came in the game and also played above average ball, assisting on 11 Texas points, while showing a strong connection with outside hitter Madelyn Hutson. The battle for the setters spot will be an interesting one to watch as the season winds down, as both players are setting very solidly.