Longhorns look to make it two in a row against Alcorn State

The Longhorns (1-1) will look to cap off an excellent week with their second consecutive win when they take on the Alcorn State Lady Braves on Sunday afternoon.

Texas, who signed high-schooler Imani Stafford — the 10th overall recruit in the nation — and got their first win of the season earlier this week, are hoping to get their second win of the season before they head to Honolulu for the Waikiki Beach Marriott Rainbow Wahine Showdown next weekend.

The Longhorns got away with some sloppy plays against Southeastern Louisiana on Monday night and will need to be much better if they want to make a statement at the Frank Erwin Center on Sunday.

“It was very difficult to see that many turnovers,” said head coach Gail Goestenkors. “It’s hard to watch. They weren’t forced turnovers. A lot of our turnovers were just mental errors, lack of focus.”

Texas shot just 40 percent and turned the ball over 10 times in the first half of Monday night’s game, but were able to get into their set offense in the second half and were much more effective.

“We didn’t really make any adjustments at half,” Goestenkors said. “But we were able to run more of our motion in the second half and our guards were able to get into a rhythm.”

Texas is going to need more of the same from their veteran guards against the experienced Lady Braves. Alcorn State has nine upperclassmen on their roster, including all five of its starters, and will be hoping to take advantage of Texas’ mistakes.

In order to be successful, Texas will also need more from sophomore Cokie Reed on the offensive end. Reed got in foul trouble early and had just seven points and five rebounds in limited minutes against SE Louisiana. She will have the height advantage over the undersized Lady Braves frontcourt and will have to take advantage.

“I have to be able to stay on the court for longer without getting tired,” Reed said. “They’re probably going to have to double team and I’ve learnt that I need to look for my guards when the double team does arrive because they’re going to be open.”

Published on Friday, November 18, 2011 as: Horns rely on veterans, look to improve record