Texas loses first game in New Jersey, tries for redemption today against North Carolina State

Texas struggled a bit in its first road trip this season, falling to Oregon State 100-95 in overtime Saturday night. But with a team that counts six freshmen among its key players, that’s not too surprising.

The Longhorns (2-1) held a lead over the Beavers for the majority of the game, including a 72-64 advantage with a little more than seven minutes left. But behind Jared Cunningham, who scored 37 points, the Beavers came roaring back. Cunningham made two free throws to send the game into overtime and then, after OSU made two three-pointers, made two more.

“Any player that shoots that is going to have a [good] game,” said UT point guard Myck Kabongo. “He got to the line 23 times, and you can’t stop that.”

Texas was led in scoring by J’Covan Brown, who had 25 points.

The game — at the Izod Center in East Rutherford, N.J., as part of the TicketCity Legends Classic — was a homecoming of sorts for three Longhorns who all had ties to the Garden State. Kabongo played two seasons at St. Benedict’s, Alexis Wangmene played one year at the Blair Academy, and Sterling Gibbs hails from the area.

Wangmene scored a career-high 11 points and snatched four rebounds.

Texas will try and bounce back today against North Carolina State.

Printed on Monday, November 21, 2011 as: Oregon State hands young team first loss in overtime