National Notebook: Week 12

Former Michigan coach handed keys to Arizona team

Arizona announced on Twitter on Tuesday that they hired former Michigan head coach, Rich Rodriguez, as the school’s new head coach. He signed a five-year, $9.55 million contract to take over the Wildcats.

His biggest vow? Take the Wildcats to a place they’ve never been: The Rose Bowl.

“I do think I know what it takes to go to BCS bowls and be in the top 10,” Rodriguez said told reporters after the official announcement. “The competition is obviously going to keep getting stronger because of the way the Pac-12 is committed to their programs, but we can get there because look at other schools in our league that have had great success. What do they have that we don’t? I think we have some advantages over them.”

Rodriguez, 48, coached at West Virginia and then at Michigan before landing Tucson. He led the Mountaineers to 60 wins and 26 losses, and was expected to take the Wolverines to big bowl games. He ended his stint in Ann Arbor with a 15-22 record and a controversy involving practice rigors and over working players.

“This is my final coaching stop,” Rodriguez said. “I hope to be able to do this another 12 or 15 years.”

Meyer would consider offer if Ohio State were to ask

Though there haven’t been official offers, many in the college football world speculate former Florida head coach Urban Meyer is ready to jump back into his work, and Ohio State is a place he’d consider.

“I’m in a good place right now mentally and physically. So if something happens with Ohio State, I’ll have a decision to make. But there has been no interview. There has been no offer to make a decision about,” he told the Gainesville Sun. “I love football. It’s what I am. I miss it,” he added.

If Meyer were to consider the hypothetical offer, he’d bring a culture of winning to a program trying desperately to redefine itself after the scandals that rocked the Jim Tressel era. Meyer won two national championships at Florida and 104 games over 10 years with the Gators, Utah and Bowling Green.

Stanford coach speaks out against ‘flawed’ BCS system

The normally mild-mannered Stanford head coach David Shaw had a few words to say to the BCS.

“Bottom line is, the BCS is flawed,” Shaw said. “They themselves know it, which is why they proposed a lot of changes going forward. All I’ve heard all year is the computers don’t like Stanford. Well, the computers haven’t programmed themselves.”

“To have a one-loss Pac-12 team behind a one-loss ACC team (Virginia Tech) means that the computer values the ACC more than it values the Pac-12. Which I don’t believe is the case. I don’t think that’s accurate.”

Part of Shaw’s vocal nature as of late, is likely because of the fact that one-loss Stanford is ranked below the ACC’s Virginia Tech.

Shaw noted that Virginia Tech beat common opponent Duke by only four points, but Stanford pummeled them by 30.

Shaw said he doesn’t know what the best solution to the post-season system is, and that it doesn’t matter what he thinks.

“It doesn’t matter what I’d like, he said. “That’s not where we are right now … I think those are off-season discussions. We are where we are right now. We have to play good football and see where that puts us.”