Longhorns enjoy success in Hawaii

Maybe a change of scenery was all the Longhorns needed to get things going this season.

After a tough loss to fifth-ranked Stanford in its season opener, Texas has reeled off four straight wins.

In its first two games in the Waikiki Rainbow Wahine Showdown in Hawaii, Texas defeated Virginia and California.

The Longhorns’ first victory over No. 22 Virginia (5-1) wasn’t even close. Texas led by as many as 30 points over the Cavaliers, who had just defeated No. 3 Tennessee in overtime. Sophomore guard Chassidy Fussell scored a career-high 30 points on 9-of-16 shooting, including 4-of-9 from three-point range. The Longhorns held the Cavaliers to 34 percent shooting from the field and dominated the game from start to finish, winning 79-53.

The next game wasn’t quite as easy.

Fussell once again proved her worth late in the game against California (3-2). She gave the Longhorns their first lead with just 1:11 left to play and finished with a game-high 15 points to lead Texas to a 61-60 win.

Texas will face Hawaii (1-4) next in the final game of the Hawaiian tournament before travelling to Knoxville, Tenn., to take on the Lady Volunteers on Dec. 4.

Printed on Monday, November 28, 2011: Fussell sets career-high as Horns win twice in Hawaii