Rachael Adams finishing up fantastic career

Goodbyes are never easy. But Rachael Adams’ time at the University of Texas is coming to an end.

Adams, along with the other seniors on the squad, has been to three final fours in a row. Starting Friday when Texas’ run in the NCAA Tournament begins, each game the team plays could be her last in burnt orange.

“I definitely want to give my all to this team,” Adams said.

“Everything that I’ve learned these past couple years, I will use it these last weeks and just give it my all.”

During Texas’ sweep of Baylor, Adams recorded her 1,300th career attack. This qualified her for Texas’ career hitting charts. She now ranks No. 1 all-time at Texas in hitting with a .493 attack mark.

“That’s crazy because there have been amazing players that have come before me like Lauren Paolini and Brandy Magee,” Adams said. “It’s kind of surreal to surpass their hitting percentages. But we’ve got to keep going and I’m very honored.”

Paolini and Magee held the old record of .373.

Adams has definitely left a mark at Texas. She has been an important factor in helping the young Longhorns come together this season. Although the team started off with a bit of a shaky start, the team is now the No. 1 seed going into the national tournament. She said this year has been special because everyone has worked so hard, especially the freshmen.

“They’ve had to get better even faster and the roles that they’ve had to fill, they’ve been doing great,” Adams said. “I couldn’t be any prouder of them.”

Adams is currently second in the Big 12 in hitting percentage, only behind teammate Sha’Dare McNeal and fifth in blocks. She was named to the All Big 12 First team on Sunday. The work ethic that Adams has learned through the program will help Adams as she graduates and leaves UT. She is an advertising major, but hopes to continue with volleyball.

“I am just going to go with the flow and see what happens,” Adams said.

Sophomore outside hitter Bailey Webster said Adams will be missed next year.

“She’s so important,” Webster said. “She’s one of the best middles of the country. We’re really cherishing all the time we have with her and hopefully winning each and every game so we can keep playing with her.”

Adams said her time at Texas has flown by.

“I feel like just yesterday I was making a to do list for stuff that I want to bring to college,” Adams said. “It’s crazy how fast it goes.”

Adams has been a rock for Texas as the team lost a third of its roster to injuries last season. In 2010, she ranked No. 1 in the NCAA statistics with a .443 hitting percentage. She says her experience at Texas has been amazing.

“I couldn’t ask for more,” Adams said. “And I have no regrets.”

Printed on Wednesday, November 30, 2011 as: Adams looks to bid adieu to 40 Acres with title