J’Covan Brown brings his a-game

J'Covan Brown finally found his groove, as he turned in an 23 point performance to lead Texas to a 93-40 victory over Nicholls State Tuesday Night.

Brown's leading performance broke a five game slump where he averaged just around 12.2 points a contest. It was his most points for the Longhorns (8-2) since Nov. 19. Freshmen Jaylen Bond and Sterling Gibbs also contributed with 18 and 14 points each.

For Bond, this big game was a long time coming.

"It was good for me to play well in this game," Bond said. "I've just got to come out hard every game and be aggressive. I need to play well on offense and play hard on defense. I just try to come in every game with the same mindset to play hard. Tonight, it worked out for me.

The Longhorns were in control from the opening tip, and Nicholls State head coach J.P. Piper acknowledged that their defense played an important role in allowing them to do that. Texas held the Colonels to around 27 percent shooting.

"[Texas] has a chance to be a really good defensive team if they want to be," Piper said.

Bryan Hammond had nine points to lead Nicholls State (3-7), which played its second game in as many days after visiting Louisiana-Monroe on Monday.

The Longhorns will face Temple on Saturday at 1:30 pm in the Frank Erwin Center, and Texas head coach Rick Barnes said that game will mark a new, more more trying chapter in this season.

"I told them that the best team we've played this year (Temple) is coming in here Saturday," he said. "They're a tough, hard-nosed, really good basketball team. From here on out, there is no doubt that we're not just going to show up and think we're going to win basketball games. We're going to have to earn them from here on out."