Highly-touted wide receiver White elects to transfer

Sophomore wide receiver Darius White announced his decision to transfer Tuesday, becoming another in a long line of former Longhorns that have left the football program this year.

White was an all-state wideout at Dunbar High School in Fort Worth as he racked up over 3,000 yards receiving over his last three seasons. He scored twice in the 2010 Under Armour All-America Game and came in at No. 20 on the ESPNU 150 list.

The pair of touchdowns in that All-America Game, however, would top the lone score, a 31-yard touchdown catch from Case McCoy against Texas Tech, White had as a Longhorn. He had six catches for 71 yards in 20 games, none of which White started in. Meanwhile, true freshmen like Jaxon Shipley and Miles Onyegbule – prospects that were not nearly as highly-touted as White – each made at least one start this season.

“I sat down and talked to my mother and family and came to the conclusion that I really just need a fresh start,” White said.

White has not yet decided where he will transfer to, although multiple sources told the Daily Texan last week that Texas A&M could be his preferred destination. With freshman defensive tackle Taylor Bible reportedly leaving the Longhorns squad because of academic issues, White brings the total of Texas players to depart the program to 13.

“We never like to see anyone leave,” said head coach Mack Brown. “But at the same time we understand Darius’ desire for a fresh start. We appreciate everything Darius has contributed.”

Since the beginning of the year, a baker’s dozen of people have ended their Longhorns football career, either by transferring, by focusing on their studies, or by giving up football altogether. Linebacker Tariq Allen began the exodus in January when he announced his intentions to transfer. Since then, Texas has lost two quarterbacks (Connor Wood and Garrett Gilbert), a running back (Traylon Shead), and four defenders (Bible, Allen, linebacker Patrick Nkwopara, and safety Nolan Brewster).

The other six are all receivers. Greg Timmons decided to transfer in June, Marquise Goodwin left the program to pursue Olympic dreams before returning two months later, Brock Fitzhenry ended his football career in August, along with Malcolm Williams, while Chris elected to transfer last month.

Even without White, Texas’ receiving corps will not be short-handed. All three starting receivers – Jaxon Shipley, Mike Davis (who also scored in the 2010 Under Armour All-America contest), and Goodwin – return in 2012.Backups DeSean Hales, John Harris, and Onyegbule will also be back. With Austin High’s Cayleb Jones and Dallas Skyline’s Thomas Johnson, two of the top 35 rated prospects according to both Rivals.com and ESPN, committed to play for the Longhorns next fall, their receiving corps should be in good shape.