Longhorns look to lengthen winning streak against Grambling State

Texas enters tonight's game on a three game win streak with its last victory coming against a surprisingly resilient North Texas squad.

The Longhorns (8-2) now face the Grambling State Tigers (4-4) –the first overall meeting between the schools– who hail from the SWAC. The Tigers will bring an experienced team to the Frank Erwin Center. Six seniors return from last year's team and three juniors, all over six feet tall, return as well. The Tigers are coming off a 61-56 defeat at the hands of the Tulsa Golden Hurricane.

Sophomore Chassidy Fussell is nearing mid-season form just 10 games in to this young season. She lit up the stat sheet again in the Longhorns' come-from-behind win over the Mean Green and should continue to score at will against the Tigers. Fussell is averaging almost 17 points per game and has led the team in scoring in six of the 10 games this year. Fusell also ranks 10th in the nation in free-throw percentage. She's shooting 93-percent from the line and has just missed two out of her 30 attempts.

Ashley Gayle has been quite the defensive stalwart as of late as well. The senior ranks fourth in the nation with 4 blocks per contest. She added five more blocks to her resume in the Longhorns' last game, further cementing her as the greatest shot-blocker to ever come through Austin.

It's never a given, but Texas should have no problem handling the Tigers in its penultimate non-conference tilt. The Longhorns are starting to look like a team that could make some noise come March.