Dublin Dr Pepper legacy comes to an end

2012-01-17_Dublin_Dr_Pepper_Zachary
Zachary Strain

Logan Kenney, 4, fills his cup with Dublin Dr. Pepper at P. Terry’s North Lamar location with the help of his grandmother, Mary Cormia, on Monday afternoon. P. Terry’s has a two week’s supply left of the popular soda.

Austin restaurants and UT students are preparing for the loss of a beloved Central Texas beverage, the iconic Dublin Dr Pepper.

When customers order a large Dublin Dr Pepper at P.Terry’s, they will also receive a commemorative T-shirt until the last day the drink is sold, P.Terry’s owner Patrick Terry said.

P.Terry’s is commemorating the soda because after 120 years of production in Dublin, Texas, the cane sugar option will no longer be produced in the Dublin Dr Pepper factory, said 1991 UT alumnus Jeffrey Kloster, co-owner of Dublin Bottling Works, previously Dublin Dr Pepper.

Dublin Bottling Works will continue to produce other cane sugar custom sodas, but Dr Pepper Snapple Group will exclusively produce Dr Pepper with cane sugar.

“The name Dublin Dr Pepper died last Wednesday night, but this company did not,” Kloster said. “We will no longer be producing any Dr Pepper products at all, but we will move forward to other things and continue producing a healthier and tastier soda option.”

The Dublin Dr Pepper factory was warned last June of the possibility of shut down if it continued to use the label “Dublin Dr Pepper,” said Chris Barnes, Dr Pepper Snapple Group spokesman. The Dublin Dr Pepper company broke its agreement with the Dr Pepper Snapple Group by using the label as well as selling outside the 40 mile circumference agreed to, he said.

“These actions led to the lawsuit and ultimately their decision to sell to us,” Barnes said. “This certainly has been a difficult situation for all parties and one we had hoped to avoid.”

Terry said he is sad to see Dublin Dr Pepper go because it is the single biggest soft drink seller at P.Terry’s. When he heard about the lawsuit he stocked up on the soda, and P.Terry’s now has enough to last two more weeks, he said.

“We got as many boxes as we could because we know how frustrated and unhappy our customers are about losing Dublin Dr Pepper,” Terry said.

Torchy’s Tacos is another Austin-area restaurant with a limited supply of the soda left, Torchy’s Tacos marketing director Brittany Neighbors said. Neighbors said Dublin Dr Pepper supplements much of the restaurant’s income.

Chemical engineering sophomore Samantha Ryder said she spends extra money at Torchy’s Tacos for Dublin Dr Pepper.

“I usually just get free water when I go to restaurants, but when a place has Dublin Dr Pepper I’ll pay for a soda just so I can get it,” she said.