Austin experiences needed rain

2012-01-25_Weather_Thomas
Thomas Allison

Plan II English sophomore Andrew Wilson walks past a flooded Nueces Street in West Campus Tuesday afternoon during a brief break in the rain.

After golf-ball-sized hail and periodic rain spattered Austin all day Tuesday, the city could experience relief from the nasty weather as early as this afternoon.

Travis county experienced abnormal amounts of rain and hail from a storm system from the Pacific Tuesday. As of Tuesday evening, the system moved to far west of El Paso and will likely bring a cold front through the area when it passes through Austin today, said geography lecturer and KEYE weatherman Troy Kimmel. He said there is an 80 percent chance of rain today and the UT area may experience roughly two inches of rain throughout the day with possible hail later in the evening.

According to the National Weather Service website, the main threat today will be damaging winds across Highway 281 and Interstate Highway 35 throughout this morning.

Kimmel said people reported seeing hail in North Austin Tuesday morning and recommended people put their cars in the garage and take precautionary measures to protect their belongings.

The rain is very good for Austin because the city is still in a very severe drought, he said.

“It’s not going to break the drought but every bit will help,” Kimmel said.