After loss to Auburn, Horns looking to rally against Arizona

2012_01_17-Austin_Grand_Prix_SWIMMING317_Danielle
Danielle Villasana

The No. 4 Longhorns plan to regroup and get back into their routine of winning after suffering their first dual meet loss of the year to No. 3 Auburn. This weekend, Texas will travel to Tucson to take on the Arizona Wildcats in search of a more positive outcome.

After battling for the lead throughout the meet, the Tigers eventually pulled away from Texas, but not without a slew of impressive performances from the Longhorns’ top finishers.

Senior Karlee Bispo and sophomore Samantha Tucker helped give Texas a little breathing room with top two finishes in the freestyle and backstroke. Bispo, who has been the backbone of the squad this year, added a fifth consecutive win in the 200 freestyle.

Other notable performers were sophomore Lily Moldenhauer, freshman Kaitlin Pawlowicz and senior Leah Gingrich who were able to touch wall first, adding to Texas’ string of event wins. Pawlowicz won the 100 breaststroke for the second time in her collegiate career after a previous win during the Michigan and Indiana meet.

Junior Laura Sogar was able to continue gaining ground for the Longhorns with her fourth top finish in the 200 breaststroke this year.

Despite Texas having three swimmers finish in the top four of the 500 freestyle, it wasn’t enough to push past the Tigers. But the Longhorns hope to continue their relentless attitude into their next test.

Kelsey Amundsen swam her best dual meet time of the year in the 100 butterfly. Divers Shelby Cullinan and Diana Wilcox were able to finish strong for the Longhorns with second and third place finishes in the 3-meter diving competition.

Their recent dual meet loss is a minor setback that the Texas women aren’t willing to take twice. The Longhorns look to leave the past behind and rejuvenate their ferocity when they face the Wildcats this weekend.