Mack Brown receives contract extension

After two bumpy years on the field, UT head football coach Mack Brown will remain at the University until at least 2020 after a contract extension approved Thursday.

The UT System Board of Regents unanimously approved the eight-year contract in a meeting on Thursday. Brown will continue to make about $5.2 million each year with additional monetary performance incentives, all of which the self-sustaining athletics program pays for. The contract includes an updated buyout schedule in case of Brown’s termination. He would receive compensation starting at $1 million, which would increase depending on the immediacy of the termination.

The past two seasons of Texas football were relatively lackluster compared to strong showings in previous years. Rumors circled on sports blogs that Brown might be fired on the basis of the recent performances.

“It’s true that those rumors were out there,” said University President William Powers Jr. “But it’s totally inaccurate that we or Mack were contemplating some change.”

The extended contract includes updates to performance incentives “when coaching efforts of Brown result in the football team being recognized” in various accomplishments.

Brown will be paid an additional $150,000 if the team wins the Big 12 Championship, $100,000 if the team participates in a BCS Bowl and $50,000 for the team participating in a non-BCS bowl according to the contract. Also, UT’s performance in AP or USA Today end-of-year rankings would give Brown a bonus, increasing from $25,000 for tenth up to $450,000 for first.

There is also an academic performance incentive between $20,000 and $150,000 based on the football team’s grade point average and academic progress rate.

In a joint statement, men’s athletic director DeLoss Dodds and Powers said they want Brown to be the University football coach for as long as he wants.

“He has achieved a level of success rare in college athletics,” Dodds and Powers said in the statement. “Our football program is in a great place thanks to Mack’s hard work.”

Government junior Jorge Balderrama said Brown is a great leader and has a very good record, including 2005’s National Championship win. However, Balderrama said extending Brown’s contract by five years instead of eight seems more appropriate.

“I think he’s maybe earned some right,” Balderrama said. “But I don’t know what kind of price that comes at.”

At the meeting, Powers said the contract is an extension of the success Brown has had on the field.

“We’ve been very blessed,” Powers said. “He’s been the best coach in the country.”

Dodds said pay raises for assistant coaches are in the works and that he is a firm believer in stability and continuity for the athletic program. He said the assistant coaches and Brown care about kids and academics.

“I’ve never seen him more energized,” Dodds said. “This has been his life and maybe the best part of his life.”

Printed on Friday, January 27th, 2012 as: Regents approve contract extension for Mack Brown