Crouser sets record, Texas impresses at Razorback Invitational

Texas had a very strong performance at the Razorback Invitational over the weekend, led by freshman Ryan Crouser, who broke the school indoor shot-put record with a throw of 20.29 meters.

“It feels great, and is hard to describe,” Crouser said. “I am really happy with where my season is at and I don’t think I would be throwing this well if I wasn’t at Texas. I have a great group of guys to train with and great coaches who have helped me get here.”

The previous record was held by Oskar Jakobsson, who set it in 1982. Texas took the top three spots in the shot put with Crouser taking first, and Jacob Thormaehlen coming in second with a 19.03 meters, and Hayden Baillio taking third with am 18.99 meter throw.

Marquise Goodwin proved his number one ranking in the long jump by winning Friday with a jump of 26-7.

“I went out there with a goal in mind to make the NCAA qualifying mark,” Goodwin said. “I have done really well here during indoors, qualifying last year in my first meet. My main goal is not the distance right now, but just to win and I was happy with that.”

Goodwin’s jump of 8.1 meters passed the NCAA automatic qualifying mark of 8.0 meters.

Continuing the winning trend at the meet, Maston Wallace took first place in the pole vault in his first action since 2009. He cleared a height of 5.25 meters for first place, and Mark Thomas took fifth place after clearing a height of 5.15 meters.

“It felt great and I have a feeling of gratitude,” Wallace said. “Being given the opportunity to jump here is amazing and I am thankful for it. I couldn’t have won without my teammates being there for me.”

On the track, Rory Tunningley led Texas in the 5000-meters with a personal best time of 14:25.85 with Austin Roth and Nathan Christianson taking third and fourth respectively.

Goodwin had another strong performance in the 60-meter dash, taking second with a time of 6.755. In the hurdles, Keiron Stewart posted a time of 7.80 to take second. After earning All-American honors in cross country as a freshman last semester, Craig Lutz took third place in the mile with a time of 4:08.36. Ryan Dohner finished immediately after Lutz with a time of 4:08.86 for fourth place. In the 3000 meters, Will Nation placed fourth with a time of 8:13.80.

Mark Jackson took fifth in the triple jump, and Jacob Thormaehlen placed fourth in the weight throw. Isaac Murphy and Petter Olson took fourth and fifth overall in the heptathlon.

Texas’ next meet will be at the New Balance Invitational in New York Feb. 3-4.