Longhorns dominate at Houston Invitational

Texas took the top two spots in the 400-meter races to lead a strong performance at the Houston Invitational. Alicia Peterson ran a 55.39 to win the event, and Danielle Dowie placed second with a time of 55.99.

“We have transitioned from having a good meet the last two weeks to a very good meet this weekend,” said head coach Beverly Kearney. “We had some very competitive season bests.”

Sophomore A’Lexus Brannon won the long jump with a 6.11 meter jump for her first win of the season. Victoria Lucas led Texas in the high jump where the Longhorns took the top three spots. She cleared 1.79 meters for first while Beverly Owoyele and Peterson placed second and third respectively after they each cleared 1.74 meters.

Amanda Van Dyke finished second in the shot put with a throw of 15.91 meters. Okwukwe Okolie took third with a throw of 14.52 meters and Akua Sencherey finished 10th.

Owoyele also took third overall in the pentathlon led by a second place finish in the high jump. Jessica Doyle finished seventh in the pole vault clearing a height of 3.6 meters in her second meet of the season.

“We did a good job of building on each other’s energy in the field events with all of them going on at the same time,” said Kearney. “We were ignited by Morgan Snow’s personal records in two events and that really set us off the rest of the meet.”

Snow finished third in the 60 meter hurdles and also took seventh in the 60 meter dash with Allison Peter running a 7.40 for third place.

Next, Texas will split into two teams with one competing in the Tyson Invitational in Fayetteville, Ark. and the other going to the Washington Husky Classic in Seattle, Wash. Both events will take place on Feb. 10-11.