Police discover source of false bomb threat

2012_01_27_Bomb_Threat_Elisabeth
Elisabeth Dillon

Matt Laselva of the state K9 unit exits the CMB last Thursday evening after searching the building for a bomb. Austin Police arrested Marshall David Logan for reporting the false bomb threat against KLRU studios and are charging him with a state felony.

Austin Police have identified Marshall David Logan as the man who reported a false bomb threat against KLRU studios Thursday night. In his 3-1-1 call, Logan alleged that there was a bomb hidden inside a piece of meat inside the studios.

According to the arrest affidavit, Logan was arrested by Friday and is being charged with a state felony since the threat was made against a public television station.

UTPD spokesman Darrell Birdett said Logan called Austin 3-1-1 at 7:26 p.m. Birdett said Thursday that he did not believe Logan was a credible source.

Nevertheless, UT students, faculty and staff participated in a voluntary evacuation of the communication complex, including The Daily Texan offices. The police brought in dogs to search the studio and announced that the area was clear by 10:05 p.m.

Robert Dahlstrom, UTPD chief of police, said he believed representatives of APD visited Logan’s apartment at 5903 Cary Drive on Thursday night.

“Apparently, [APD] had dealt with him before,” he said. “When we heard that his house was [in Austin], we were fine with letting APD officers interview him.”

Dahlstrom said APD worked with UTPD on Thursday night to clear the building and to apprehend Logan.

Printed on Tuesday, January 31, 2012 as: Austin resident charged with state felony after reporting false bomb threat