Scoring Careers offers opportunities for business connections

2012-02-01_Career_Fair_Jonathan_Garza5460
Jonathan Garza

Business students watch performers at the Career Expo hosted by McCombs School of Business’ Career Week. This fair was aimed at helping students network in the business field and improve their professional skills.

As a part of McCombs School of Business’ Career Week, two student organizations held a career fair Tuesday aimed at helping students make connections in the business field and practice professionalism in a real-world setting.

The Hispanic Business Student Association and Asian Business Student Association host the Scoring Careers event every year during the business school’s Career Week. This fair generally precedes the larger Career Expo put on by the business school. Companies such as Target, Deloitte and Capital One attended the fair this year.

“ABSA is in its 25th year, so we utilize our contacts with companies and their recruiters to get companies to come to the fair,” said Terence Ko, management information systems senior and Asian association professional vice president. “The companies in attendance vary each year due to budgets and new relationships we make.”

The smaller size and more direct focus helps students have more personal interaction than the Career Expo, said finance sophomore Alina Rakhmatoullina.

“As a result, the recruiters ask us to email them our resume instead of us just handing it to them and we gain a more personal contact,” Rakhmatoullina said.

The fair started in 2002 and although it is primarily the Hispanic association’s event, the Asian association helps with the logistical issues every year.

“ABSA has been voted the best student organization in McCombs and they are well-respected, so we knew they were the right choice,” said Anais Molina, supply chain management senior and Hispanic association parliamentarian.

Both groups have earned a high level of respect within the business community, said Ashley Smith from the human resources department of Rothstein Kass. This year was the first year the professional services firm Rothstein Kass attended the fair.

“The high number of accounting students in both organizations is very impressive for our firm, and we value diversity,” Smith said.

Companies who come every year are always impressed by the students’ level of preparedness, said Johnny Tijerina, managed repair representative at Progressive Corporation.

“The students we see here are well-prepared and professional,” Tijerina said. “One thing I suggest to all students, even if they’re not business students, is to try to work while in school. Companies really want to see students being involved in organizations and have many leadership opportunities on their resume.”

Printed on Wednesday, February 1, 2012 as: Scoring Careers focuses on connections