Princeton Review names UT top college for value

The Princeton Review named UT-Austin one of the top 10 Best Value Public Colleges in the nation for 2012.

The list featured 150 schools and 37 states overall and assessed their rankings from institutional data collection in the primary areas of academics, cost of attendance, financial aid and student opinion surveys from fall 2010 through fall 2011, according to the Princeton Review website. Princeton Review also considered the percentage of graduating seniors who borrowed from any loan program and the average dollar amount of debt those students had at graduation. Although included in the expanded list, UT failed to break into the top 10 last year.

The Office of Student Financial Services' website estimated the approximate cost of attending UT to be from $12,133 to 12,829 per semester — including room and board, tuition and other expenses — for full-time in-state students.

University spokesman Gary Susswein said this status is just the latest in a series of higher education rankings that highlight UT's value.

“Our tuition is lower than at most of our peer schools and we spend less in-state money than almost all of them,” Susswein said. “Yet we still rank among the top public research universities in the nation and world. We do more with less and serve our students incredibly well. It's great to be recognized for that.”