UT soccer player shows some recovery after falling victim to hit-and-run

UT soccer player Kylie Doniak is still in critical condition but is showing signs of improvement, according to an Austin American-Statesman article released today.

Doniak, an award-winning forward, was struck by an intoxicated driver Feb. 3 at around 2 a.m. and suffered a major head injury, multiple rib fractures, a punctured lung, two broken bones and lacerations to the back, according to the article.

Nicholas Ray Colunga, the hit-and-run driver, was charged with intoxicated assault and two counts of failure to stop and render aid, according to the Statesman. He is currently in Travis County jail on $60,000 bail.

The article said Doniak's parents arrived on Friday from Chino Hills, Calif. Friends, family and classmates have poured out their support through Facebook and Twitter, according to the Statesman's website.

Through CaringBridge.org, Kylie's family is keeping the community updated on her condition.

“It will be a long, long road, but eventually we will get our Kylie back,” the most recent post said. “We know people are praying around the clock, so keep your faith because God is good!”

In the hospital room, surrounded by friends, Kylie “ … opened her eyes and blinked a few times. She also slightly moved her fingers … considering she is on paralytics, that's a pretty huge step toward recovery,” according to the website.

A prayer vigil was held last night on campus to honor Kylie and to allow community members to pray for her recovery.

Printed on Wednesday, February 8, 2012 as: Soccer player shows progress after being hit by drunk driver