Bittersweet Weekend for Women’s Tennis

FILE2011-02-27_Womens_Tennis_Trent
Trent Lesikar

Aeriel Ellis extends for a serve.

It was a weekend to remember, but also a weekend to forget for the Longhorns.

Despite great victories from many players, Texas emerged from this weekend’s ITA National Women’s Team Indoor Championships with two losses.

The opening day of the tournament saw the Longhorns play a competitive match against No. 6 Georgia. Junior Aeriel Ellis toppled the No. 2 ranked player in the country, 2010 singles champion Chelsey Gullickson, to give the Longhorns an early boost of confidence. Freshman Lina Padegimaite won her singles match as well, but it wasn’t enough. The Longhorns fell, 4-2, to the Bulldogs.

On the second day, the duos of Padegimaite and Noel Scott, and Ellis and Cierra Gaytan-Leach easily took down their opponents in doubles competition. Although this gave the women two of the three doubles matches, the No. 11 Miami Hurricanes were too much to handle, sweeping all but one singles match en route to a 4-2 victory.

With two losses on their record, the Longhorns found it in themselves to take down No. 15 Clemson, 4-3. Ellis and Gaytan-Leach handily won their doubles match while also posting a singles win each. Elizabeth Begley and Krista Damico also won their respective singles matches.

The Longhorns will have a couple of weeks to reflect on this minor setback before they meet Northwestern on March 2 in Austin.

Printed on Monday, February 13, 2012 as: Texas handed pair of losses, Ellis dominates in singles