Texas ends first Junior Day without a commitment

Mack Brown and his staff are known for nabbing commitments early in the recruiting process. Sunday was Texas’ first junior day of 2013.

The day ended with no commitments.

Although scholarships were offered to 10 of the 12 prospects, none accepted — yet. Jake Raulerson remains Texas’ only commitment. The 6-foot-5, 250-pound tackle also reported offers from Alabama, Auburn and Oklahoma.

Should Texas be concerned?

The Longhorns have had four consecutive top five finishes in the ESPNU class rankings — with getting commitments early in the process being a big part of its success. With Jake Raulerson’s commitment, one would expect that other players would follow suit.

Not this Sunday.

Two years ago, 13 members of the Longhorns’ 2011 class committed within 48 hours of the first junior day.

It is hard to pinpoint what the issue is. Texas’ struggles over the past two seasons are an obvious potential reason for the lack of immediate response.

In addition, the coaching staff has gone through a lot of changes since the 5-7 2010 season. Changes in staff could mean a change in philosophy when it comes to recruiting. These changes could take time and it is only February. The class of 2012 is already different than what Texas fans would expect with two junior college transfers and an out of state quarterback, Connor Brewer.

The lack of commitments could have something to do with other schools in the area revamping their recruiting. With Texas A&M heading to the SEC, the staff has been busy getting commitments. Houston head coach Kevin Sumlin recently got a commitment from defensive tackle Kerrick Huggins and currently have six members in their 2013 class.

Texas offered scholarships to tight end Durham Smythe, defensive back/running back Kyle Hicks, wide receiver Ra’Shaad Samples, quarterback Tyrone Swoopes, running back Dontre Wilson, Dallas Jesuit receiver Ricky Seals-Jones, offensive lineman Darius James, offensive lineman A’Shawn Robinson and defensive tackle Justin Manning.

Smythe also attended junior days at Baylor and TCU with trips scheduled for A&M and Stanford.

The recruiting process has become a much longer, more intense process over the past few years. Athletes are taking more visits and changing their minds more and more often. Look at how Texas acquired Torshiro Davis. He had a verbal pledge with LSU for about a year until signing day when he decided to go to Texas.

The recruiting process is fickle. But Texas’ lack of commitments will raise concerns about how strong the class of 2013 will be. Early signing has worked for Brown for many years and this change of pace could raise concerns. But, it is only February. It is not time to panic. Yet.

Printed on, Tuesday February 14, 2012 as: Normally prolific, first Junior Day nets no commitments despite many offers