Swoopes commits to Texas

AP_Swoopes
Rog Pachuta

Tyrone Swoopes carries the ball for Whitewright during his junior season in 2011. Swoopes committed to Texas on Friday. (Photo courtesy of Buzz Photos)

Although Tyrone Swoopes is still a junior in high school, he is expected to have a massive impact on the 40 Acres. Comparisons to Vince Young have already begun.

Texas has been looking for a quarterback like Swoopes since Young was drafted in the first round of the 2006 NFL Draft. Swoopes is Texas’ top quarterback recruit for the class of 2013. He made his commitment on Friday.

The Whitewright High School product is one of Texas’ best junior recruits and will provide the Longhorns with the depth they need at quarterback. After the transfers of Garrett Gilbert and Connor Wood, Texas needs someone like Swoopes.

When Texas recruited Gilbert, he was expected to be the next franchise quarterback after Young led Texas to the national championship in 2005. But Gilbert’s career at Texas did not turn out as expected and he transferred to SMU. Now, the Longhorns are looking for a quarterback who can take this offense to another national championship.

Swoopes, who is 6-foot-5 and 220 pounds, will be Texas’ newest hope in leading the offense. Physically, he is very similar to Young, and both players are dual threats.

His junior season, he completed 110 of 209 passes for 1,394 yards with 15 touchdowns and seven interceptions for Whitewright.

In the 2011 season, the Longhorns relied heavily on the run offense. But when Swoopes arrives on campus in 2013 that could definitely change. He is ranked as the nation’s No. 3 dual-threat quarterback by 247Sports.com and the No. 67 overall prospect in the country.

Swoopes chose Texas over TCU, Baylor, Oklahoma, Alabama and other top schools. Swoopes has always been a Longhorn fan. According to Horns Nation, Swoope’s relationship with co-offensive coordinator Bryan Harsin was an important aspect of his decision to play at Texas.

“Every time I talk to him he’s asking about the family, how’s basketball going, how life is going in general,” Swoopes said in an interview with Horns Nation. “Some of the other coaches, all they care about is the football part of it. He’s kind of different from everybody else.”

Texas signed Class of 2012 quarterbacks Connor Brewer and Jalen Overstreet in February and they will join sophomore David Ash and junior Case McCoy on the 2012 roster.

Texas finished this week with five commitments total and the Longhorns received four commitments in four days.

Printed on Monday, February 20, 2012 as: Swoopes becomes fifth commit of 2013 class