Longhorns return to home courts for Saturday doubleheader

This weekend the Longhorns return home and will try to add two more wins to their season total with a doubleheader on Saturday.

Texas will take on UT-Arlington in the first match at 11 a.m., followed by a match with UT-San Antonio at 6 p.m.

The Longhorns (8-3) are continuing their climb up the team rankings this season, moving up to No. 11 in the latest Intercollegiate Tennis Association rankings this week, after starting the season at the No. 19 spot. Junior Daniel Whitehead also improved his ranking from No. 112 in the first set of singles rankings to No. 69 in the most recent.

Making his first debut in the ITA singles rankings at No. 93 is freshman Soren Hess-Olesen, who took down the No. 15 ranked Alexis Klegou during the Longhorns’ 4-1 win over Texas A&M this past weekend in the ITA National Team Indoor Championship.

UT-Arlington is coming off a 5-2 loss to TCU earlier this week. UTSA will be playing their first match as a ranked team this season, earning the No. 72 team ranking, although the Roadrunners just came off a 4-3 loss to Nicholls in their conference opener. The Roadrunners also upset No. 36 Rice earlier this month, and will look to do the same against a young Texas team.

The Longhorns are coming off a 2-1 finish at the ITA Indoor Championship. Texas defeated No. 11 Texas A&M and No. 16 Auburn after dropping their opening match to No. 3 Ohio State. After Saturday’s doubleheader, the Longhorns will enjoy a week off before returning to the courts next Sunday to take on TCU.